Thursday, March 14, 2013

EGGS AND TOFU-TOAST

I realized that I have only published three recipes and two of them involve tofu. This is not because I eat it all the time... I just happened to have it in my refrigerator this week. I have not cooked with it in years, but having a vegetarian past and knowing you can make it taste like almost anything, Im sure I will be using it more often... especially to take the place of bread! :-)



Today I was craving eggs, but wanted toast to go with it. I just happened to have enough left over from my tofu pizza to make two thin slices. I fried them the same way while cooking an egg (Over easy). You can make your egg however you please, but you have to try this recipe!

1 Egg
2 Slices of Firm Tofu
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp Diced Tomato w/Garlic (I have this premade in my fridge) **Quick Recipe Below
2 Tbsp Salsa (To substitute for Diced Tomatoes if you do not have it)
1 Tsp Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Season 2 pieces of sliced Firm Tofu with a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic salt on one side. Heat oil and butter in a small skillet over medium heat until butter begins to sizzle - add tofu seasoned side down. Season other side in pan the same way. Cook each side for 5-6 minutes until golden brown only turning once. Remove from pan and place on paper-towel lined plate to remove excess oil.


While tofu is frying - cook egg in a separate pan. (You can wait until your tofu is done and fry egg in same pan, but its better when tofu is still warm). When egg is cooked on one side, flip over and season with a little salt and pepper. (Im Italian - I season EVERYTHING). Turn off heat and sprinkle egg with cheese. Let sit for about 30-45 seconds in the pan. This should melt the cheese.


Spoon tomato or salsa mixture over top and serve

I prefer my tomato mixture cold from the fridge on top.

** 1 Can diced tomatoes, drained.
     1 Tsp chopped garlic
     1/2 Tbsp EVOO

Saute garlic and EVOO in pan for 30-45 Seconds over medium high heat. Add tomatoes and pinch of salt and pepper and continue to cook over med. high heat for 10 minutes. Sauce will thicken and reduce a little. Refrigerate once mixture is cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment