Thursday, March 14, 2013

MEATLOAF MUFFINS

So this recipe comes with a few twists. I like to use ground turkey when cooking most meals that call for ground beef for my family. I also switched out the bread crumbs for rolled oats. It just makes me feel as though I am making it a little bit healthier... especially when I am adding a good amount of BBQ Sauce to the meal ;-) These turned out delicious (my hubby asked if we could add more BBQ sauce to the recipe next time, but then again... he puts BBQ sauce on almost any dish, so I will let you be the judge).
Also, I apologize for all of my pictures that come out with that yellow tint. I am using my cell phone camera in a kitchen that does not have great lighting.




1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds ground turkey
1 medium onion
2 pieces of celery
1 green bell pepper
1 large egg plus a splash of milk, beaten
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup salsa
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450°

Put ground turkey into a large mixing bowl.  Chop celery, onion, and bell pepper in a food processor (pulse setting) until you have finely chopped them. Add them to the meat. Add egg, beaten with milk, oats and grill.
In a separate bowl (I prefer a large measuring cup) mix together the  barbecue sauce, salsa and the Worcestershire sauce. Pour half of this mixture into the bowl with the meatloaf mix. Because the ground turkey is so soft the moisture from the vegetables and sauce combined make this mixture easy to mix with a large wooden spoon instead of your hands. You can use whichever method works best for you, but make sure all ingredients are mixed very well.  


Spray the 12-muffin tin (1/2-cup each) with non-stick spray. Fill each tin. Spread remaining bbq/salsa on top of each muffin and bake for 25 minutes – test one muffin by cutting in half to make sure they are cooked through.


FYI-  I filled my with a little extra meat over the top and then spread the remaining bbq/salsa mixture on top of each muffin. I still had some left over meat to make about 6 more muffins. The problem with filling them this high was the grease accumulates on top of the tin. It did not overflow, but I would recommend not over filling the tin. 



No comments:

Post a Comment