Wednesday, March 13, 2013

TOFU PIZZA

I decided to try something new today. I had Lite, Firm Tofu in the fridge. (Eggs just weren't going to cut it this morning). An entire package with 4.5 servings contains Less than 5 carbs. I also had some diced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Hmm... tofu pizza? It was worth a try. I fried the tofu first, placed my broiler rack on the third oven shelf and set the broiler to 500°. Because I only had diced tomatoes and not tomato sauce I decided to quickly saute some garlic in a pan, add the can of tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook on medium high heat while the tofu fried. It only takes about 10 minutes for this to thicken and form a quick sauce. I will say that for this recipe in the future I would use a more flavorful sauce. Here is the recipe:




1 Package Lite, Firm Tofu
4 Tbsp Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
2 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Cup Tomato Sauce
Salt, Pepper
Optional - Oregano, Garlic Powder, Crushed Pepper (Optional)

Preheat Broiler to 500° and place over rack on 3rd shelf

Cut Tofu into 8 pieces (I only used 6 pieces as you can see in the photos). Season each side with salt, pepper, and Garlic Powder. Heat oil and butter over medium-medium high heat in skillet. Place tofu in pan when butter begins to bubble. Fry each side for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Turn only once.

Remove from pan and place on paper-towel lined plate.

If you are not using pre-made tomato sauce, saute 2 cloves of garlic (or 1tsp of pre-chopped garlic) with 1tbsp EVOO (30-45 seconds in preheated pan over medium high heat). Add 1 can of diced tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.



Place fried tofu on foil-lined baking sheet and top with sauce


Top with 2tbsp of Parm/Regg Cheese, Mozzarella and then remaining Parm/Regg Cheese.
Broil for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted (I prefer melted and a little crisp)
Remove from oven
Optional - add garlic powder/crushed red pepper, oregano, etc.


BTW- if you have the courage (or leftovers) try to eat one cold after it’s been refrigerated... delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment